Saturday, May 3, 2014

7 Homemade/Organic Hair Treatments



There are so many fixes for your hair just waiting in your kitchen.
Don't be afraid to use them.  
They're generally ALWAYS less expensive than the salon-product alternative and easier to find.  So if you've got any of these seven common hair problems, here are your easy solutions.

Lacking Lustre:
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Remember those volcanos you used to make in elementary school?  That's just what you're going for.  It won't lather like real shampoo, but it will explode on your scalp and has a fantastic cleansing ability without damaging it like regular shampoo.  Mix 1-2 TBL of baking soda with a little water until a "paste" consistency is formed.  Massage into the scalp of wet hair.  Rinse with 1-2 TBL of vinegar and let the bubbling action work for you to get the shiny lustre back.  You can condition after or just rinse with water.  It won't smell like vinegar once it dries.

Dry & Brittle Hair:  
Egg yolks
I use 2-4 eggs depending on the length of hair.  Whisk them together in a bowl and apply to damp or dry hair.  Massage them into the scalp and down the hair shaft.  Leave them in for at least 20 minutes (I've even done 2 hours before) and rinse them in cool water.  Wash like normal and feel the smoothing difference.
Too much protein can leave your hair mushy, so only do this every other month.

Dandruff & Scalp itching:
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
The lemon juice shows that dry skin who's boss and then the olive oil moisturizes and helps stop future flaking.  I use equal parts of lemon juice, olive oil, and water: 1-2 TBL of each depending on hair length.  Massage it all into that flaky scalp and keep it on for at least 20 minutes before washing like normal.  You can do it on wet or dry hair.

Lifeless & Dull:
Yogurt with active cultures 
The normal build-up film on your hair blocks moisture absorption and your hair loses its pretty shine.
I just buy the inexpensive, non-flavored, full-fat yogurt and smear it into the hair from scalp to tip.  The lactic acid cleans up the build up and the dairy fat leaves it feeling smooth and moisturized.

Over-styled and Worn out:
Coconut Oil
It moisturizes like a dream. Try rubbing some on your skin and you'll see what I mean.  It traps in the moisture and almost makes a waterproof barrier.  It's wonderful.  But be careful around your scalp.  Too much at the root can leave you looking like a greased monkey.
I heat up 2-3 TBL in the microwave and work it into damp hair.  I leave it in as a deep conditioner as long as I can, and then wash it normally. 

Frizzy:
Avocado
The creamy protein iside the avocado moisturizes and weighs down the frizz.  It feels different than when using the eggs to add protein.  I like alternating with all my natural moisturizing products.  I mash up the avocado and use it by itself, or add just enough olive oil to make it more spreadable, and massage it into the hair from scalp to tip.  Leave it on at least 20 minutes and wash it like  normal.  I feel safe doing this protein treatment every 3 weeks without getting too much protein into my hair.

Greasy:
Cornstarch
This is not a permanent fix, but a great temporary fix for stretching out days between shampooing.  Sprinkle 1 TBL of cornstarch over a dry scalp and work it through the hair with a paddle brush.  It absorbs the excess oil on the scalp.  You can also use baby powder or cornmeal, but I have found they both have a distinct smell that doesn't leave your head while you're wearing them.  The cornstarch leaves no scent and works more effectively than dry shampoo (in my opinion). 

Best of luck in getting that salon look...from your kitchen.
Miriam

7 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm trying the baking soda and vinegar right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! My dry scalp and itchy head come in the summer and it is getting hot here in Southern California. Props to Miriam for perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try some of these. I do the cornstarch or baby powder before I go to bed at night since I have dark brown hair. By morning no white is showing anymore. I did the cornmeal for a while and it made my scalp break out! Weird and gritty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our site, we will suggest into some sort of things you can keep in mind while searching for new beauty salon in your area as you prefer for. We are trusted-one for many years in top cities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! How many of these can we do at once? Thank you for the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you can mix a few of them together, but your hair can't hold it all at once as well as if it's broken up. Like avocados and eggs. They could both go on together, but you might get a better result picking separate ones to do each weekend for damage control. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How often can I do the coconut oil treatment? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete